F17 PM Test day late :) recap

Jaroslav Skarvada jskarvad at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 13:30:59 UTC 2012

Hi,

thanks all for attending F17 PM Test day, late :) recap follows.

General results:
Number of attendees: 39
Reports received: 52
Unique machines tested: 49
Bugs reported (all trackers counted): 21
Bugs closed so far: 13

Test cases (TC) results (in braces are F16 results):
TC passed: 82.48 %  (79 %)
TC passed with warning: 3.62 % (7 %)
TC failed: 13.90 % (14 %)

Power consumption benchmark results (active idle test, data
mostly taken from ACPI battery by provided script):
Average power consumption (average from all machines): 23.36 W
Average power savings with tuned enabled: 1.91 W

List of bugs reported:
FRD Bug 47965 - I can't modify brightness with nVidia 1000m Quadro
Bug 713687 - [abrt] kernel: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 67s! [modprobe:499] in ath5k_pci_eeprom_read
Bug 745202 - gnome-shell does not display correctly with NV3x adapters - multicolor corruption of panel, Shell-style menus and text [nvfx]
Bug 783715 - Running bluetooth.service makes soft blocked wifi be hard blocked after resume from suspend
Bug 784741 - [abrt] kernel: WARNING: at lib/list_debug.c:53 __list_del_entry+0xa1/0xd0() (
Bug 797559 - [abrt] kernel: WARNING: at fs/sysfs/group.c:138 sysfs_remove_group+0xfa/0x100()
Bug 807855 - Please add support for our new tuned 2.0
Bug 809294 - SELinux is preventing /usr/bin/python from using the 'signal' accesses on a process. I was running: systemctl start tuned.service
Bug 809812 - No brigtness controls in gnome-control-center screen on lenovo x200
Bug 809832 - avc on tuned-adm profile powersave
Bug 809836 - SELinux is preventing tuned from 'execute_no_trans' accesses on the file /usr/lib/tuned/balanced/script.sh.
Bug 809837 - SELinux is preventing ls from 'getattr' accesses on the blk_file /dev/sdb.
Bug 809838 - SELinux is preventing sysctl from 'getattr' accesses on the file /proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog.
Bug 810127 - Brightness level indicator is not shown when changing brightness
Bug 810202 - [abrt] kernel: [809524.902004] kernel BUG at drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem.c:3415!
Bug 810584 - "Brightness and Lock" window does not show settings for Brightness
Bug 810616 - [HP Elitebook 8460p] Pressing Fn+Brightness control keys has no effect
Bug 811018 - HP Elitebook 8560w can't suspend or hibernate
Bug 813899 - [abrt] kernel: WARNING: at drivers/base/firmware_class.c:538 _request_firmware+0x488/0x4d0()
Bug 813900 - [abrt] kernel: WARNING: at drivers/base/firmware_class.c:538 _request_firmware+0x488/0x4d0()
Bug 813904 - SELinux is preventing /usr/libexec/gstreamer-0.10/gst-plugin-scanner from 'create' accesses on the directory .orc.

49 machines (mostly laptops) seems to be nice number to get us a little
overview how good (or bad) we are doing.

As you probably know we also held this event on-site in Red Hat Brno
office. There was prepared meeting room with internet connection,
various F17 test day live CDs/USBs, USB CD-ROMs, serial cables for
catching kernel backtraces and calibrated Chroma 66202 wattmeter so
attendees was able to precisely measure power consumption of their
machines. We also focused on newcomers. We had there three spare
laptops and newcomers without their own HW could play with Fedora
there. They could also (virtually) attend test day with these machines
to observe that it is really easy task (one of the goal of this event
was to encourage them to attend future test days on their own). I can
say that the event went well, but available capacity (space) was a bit
underestimated - we did not expect such an interest :).

During the event it proved that managing dozens of attendants become
pain with the current test day infrastructure. For newcomers it was
hard to understand how to fill results into wiki (or the concept of
the wiki itself). It was even harder for remotees. Several times we
received plain text reports and we had to transfer them into wiki
ourself. In rush hours there were so many conflicting edits in the
wiki that we had to utilize one people who worked only as a wiki
corrector. I cannot imagine how to handle e.g. double number of
participants with the current system. I think that some more robust
and intuitive system is needed to attract/handle more participants.
If designed the right way it could also simplify evaluation of results
and could give answers to various queries like "what HW worked on
which version of Fedora".

So again many thanks to all attendees and supporters and hope to see
you during F18 PM test day :)

thanks & regards

Jaroslav