F17 PM Test day late :) recap

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 17:42:35 UTC 2012

> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 09:30 -0400, Jaroslav Skarvada wrote:
>
> > During the event it proved that managing dozens of attendants become
> > pain with the current test day infrastructure. For newcomers it was
> > hard to understand how to fill results into wiki (or the concept of
> > the wiki itself). It was even harder for remotees. Several times we
> > received plain text reports and we had to transfer them into wiki
> > ourself. In rush hours there were so many conflicting edits in the
> > wiki that we had to utilize one people who worked only as a wiki
> > corrector. I cannot imagine how to handle e.g. double number of
> > participants with the current system. I think that some more robust
> > and intuitive system is needed to attract/handle more participants.
> > If designed the right way it could also simplify evaluation of results
> > and could give answers to various queries like "what HW worked on
> > which version of Fedora".
> >
> > So again many thanks to all attendees and supporters and hope to see
> > you during F18 PM test day :)
>
> Thanks for the recap and the process feedback!
>
> Yeah, the wiki system certainly has limitations. The problem is that any
> replacement is likely to be significantly more complex on the
> infrastructure side and also for Test Day organizers than simply using
> the Wiki, so it's something of a trade-off; we've never found any kind
> of 'drop-in' system that does exactly what we want. At least as far as
> we've found so far, any replacement would make it somewhat more
> difficult to organize a Test Day.
>
> I've run X Test Weeks for several releases which can get upwards of 100
>
> Still, I agree it's not an optimal system, and if anyone has any
> suggestions for alternatives we'd be glad to have them.

Forgot to mention - please consider the Test Day SOP to be guidelines,
not hard and fast rules - if you think of a way to adjust the process
which you think would be beneficial for your Test Day, by all means go
ahead and do it, no-one will be angry! So if you can think of any
methods that you think might improve the ease of the feedback process,
please do go ahead and try them for the f18 PM test day, and let us know
how they go.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey