Debugging Fedora UEFI boot problems on Intel DQ77MK

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Tue Jul 31 18:41:48 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:11:07AM -0400, Peter Jones wrote:

> > > I'll try installing Windows aswell.
> > >

> > I just tried Win7 SP1 x64, and it seems to install and work OK in UEFI mode.
> > After installation I verified it had created GPT system partition,
> > and also I used "bcdedit" to verify windows has booted using bootmgfw.efi and winload.efi.
> >
> > So yes, win7 works in UEFI mode, but f16/f17/rhel63 x64 fail in UEFI mode.
> >
> > Should I open a fedora bugzilla ticket?
>
> Probably - but first, could you try booting the iso at
> http://pjones.fedorapeople.org/sb/boot-sb4.iso ?  It's using a boot
> process that's a bit different (and more like what F18 will have), so
> and the code is different enough that there's some chance any given
> bug is incidentally fixed.

with that boot-sb4.iso I get first the grub 2.00 menu, and after choosing Fedora 17 entry:

Booting `Fedora 17`

Secure boot not enabled
error: failure reading sector 0x40 from `cd0Ž.

Press any key to continue...

And it's stuck there.. pressing "any key" doesn't help,
and ctrl+alt+del doesn't work either. I have to press Reset button.

I tried burning the iso image twice to different cdr's.. didn't help.
Any ideas?

-- Pasi