Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-07-23)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 21:12:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 22:58 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Akira TAGOH wrote:
> > Well, that's true for proprietary fonts, but not necessarily true for free
> > fonts.
>
> Our default font set for most languages, DejaVu, ships carefully designed
> hinting bytecode written specifically for FreeType's bytecode interpreter,
> and its designers explicitly ask for it to be used rather than the
> autohinter. (Some people dislike the font's look with the hinting, but it is
> how the designers intended it to look.)

It seems like we're really just debating between:

* Default to autohinting and tweak specific fonts to use BCI
* Default to BCI and tweak specific fonts to use autohinting

I'm not sure it makes sense to worry about which approach is best for
the _really commonly used core fonts_ in deciding, because whichever
approach we take, clearly we'll wind up taking care to make sure those
fonts look good. I think the appropriate criterion to use for the
decision is which approach tends to work out best for J. Random Font -
the large body of less-used fonts both within the distro and outside it.
These are the fonts that are _not_ going to get special treatment and
will most likely wind up using the default rendering path, so we should
pick the default rendering path to work best for _those_ fonts, not for
the 'showcase' fonts which we take special care of.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey