another upgrade, another disaster

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Jun 1 10:18:23 UTC 2012

On 05/31/2012 10:24 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 15:08 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
>
>> But we can, and should, at least try to make our systems tolerant of failures.
>> Just because we can't test everything.  Defensive programming.
>
> Sure. As someone else said, though, that's an issue in rpm if
> anywhere...

Dunno what kind of failures you're referring to here (not saying rpm
doesn't have any, just that it's not clear to me in this context), but
the vast majority of upgrade-related issues are not so much in rpm but
anaconda/preupgrade/yum level of things.

(One of) the recurring themes is
1) user has a system with bunch of non-default packages installed
2) user does an anaconda-upgrade with a DVD
3) anaconda blasts through the upgrade ignoring anything it can't upgrade
4) yum barfs on the resulting broken dependency mess

Anaconda (and perhaps preupgrade as well, I dont know it well enough to
comment) could be stricter and refuse to upgrade unless all dependencies
are met, either through user adding/adjusting (3rd party) repositories
as necessary or removing all offending packages, but that'd perhaps just
create a different kind of PITA.

It'd help if yum learned how to fix (at least some) pre-existing
problems instead of just complaining and giving up.

One thing that might also help is changing anaconda & preupgrade to use
yum distro-sync equivalent instead of the "regular" upgrade.

	- Panu -