Action required: Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Fri Jun 1 11:21:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 1:15 AM, Sergio Durigan Junior
<sergiodj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, May 31 2012, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> So I'll patch sort to default to /var/tmp rather than /tmp.
>
> Please don't.  As many pointed out, there are many disadvantages in
> doing this, and I really do not think we should be "fixing" (sic) our
> apps because of such a controversial feature.  `sort' and other programs
> have been working right like this for *years*; introducing such change
> would mean "please give me more bugs", as Ralf pointed out.

To remind everyone about the state of this change:
* It was approved by FESCo for Fedora 18
* It was implemented
Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that Fedora 18 will ship with
this change, and applications need to be updated to handle the change,
or we will have a more broken Fedora 18.  Advising people not to patch
programs won't make Fedora 18 less broken at this point.

So, please, if you are a package maintainer, for each package:
1. (fedpkg prep)
2. (grep -irl 'te\?mp' .)
3. Manually review the results for code that could be broken by making
/tmp a tmpfs
4. Prepare patches, and either get them accepted upstream, or add them
to your Fedora package.

If you are anyone: Please suggest improvements to the instructions
above to reduce the number of false positives.

If you are the feature owners: Please read through all of the previous
discussions mentioning specific things that would be broken, and file
the bugs yourselves - don't rely on the single person out of thousands
to have read the e-mail.

If you don't like the change: Sorry.  I don't like the change either,
but now we need focus on making Fedora 18 less broken.  Alternatively,
you could ask FESCo to reconsider - but before doing so, please review
the FESCo meeting minutes from April 4 and the following devel@
threads, and make sure you have _new_ arguments.  Repeating things
that were already raised is unlikely to persuade FESCo.
    Mirek