Action required: Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jun 1 13:47:02 UTC 2012

On 06/01/2012 02:12 PM, Alexey I. Froloff wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 01:21:25PM +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>> Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that Fedora 18 will ship with
I certainly disagree ... this change is not reasonable.

>> this change, and applications need to be updated to handle the change,
>> or we will have a more broken Fedora 18.  Advising people not to patch
>> programs won't make Fedora 18 less broken at this point.
> I was using /tmp on tmpfs (with $TMPDIR poining inside of /tmp)
> for several years in ALT Linux.  And by "use" I mean "build
> packages using mock-like tool that creates chroots in $TMPDIR".
> During all these years, my biggest problem was that tmpfs by
> default allocates half of physical RAM for partition.  So I just
> allocated big enough swap and added a line to /etc/fstab with
> appropriate size= option.
>
> Having /tmp on tmpfs is not THAT scary, is you ask me...

If you ask me (I did the same for some time (Fedora 13-14 era) ) the
typical symptoms of /tmp on tmpfs are sporatic, non-deterministic
malfunctions.

I guess is, struggling with these sporadic malfunction will become an FAQ.

Finally, using /var/tmp instead of /tmp for temporary files (c.f. the
"sort" case in another thread) contradicts the primary purpose of /tmp
on tmpfs: *speed*

In other words, moving current /tmp use-cases to /var/tmp will not gain
you any speed-wise.

Ralf