Action required: Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Fri Jun 1 13:55:41 UTC 2012

On 06/01/2012 02:47 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 02:12 PM, Alexey I. Froloff wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 01:21:25PM +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>>> Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that Fedora 18 will ship with
> I certainly disagree ... this change is not reasonable.
>
>>> this change, and applications need to be updated to handle the change,
>>> or we will have a more broken Fedora 18.  Advising people not to patch
>>> programs won't make Fedora 18 less broken at this point.
>> I was using /tmp on tmpfs (with $TMPDIR poining inside of /tmp)
>> for several years in ALT Linux.  And by "use" I mean "build
>> packages using mock-like tool that creates chroots in $TMPDIR".
>> During all these years, my biggest problem was that tmpfs by
>> default allocates half of physical RAM for partition.  So I just
>> allocated big enough swap and added a line to /etc/fstab with
>> appropriate size= option.
>>
>> Having /tmp on tmpfs is not THAT scary, is you ask me...
>
> If you ask me (I did the same for some time (Fedora 13-14 era) ) the typical symptoms of /tmp on tmpfs are sporatic, non-deterministic malfunctions.
>
> I guess is, struggling with these sporadic malfunction will become an FAQ.
>

> Finally, using /var/tmp instead of /tmp for temporary files (c.f. the "sort" case in another thread) contradicts the primary purpose of /tmp on tmpfs: *speed*
>
> In other words, moving current /tmp use-cases to /var/tmp will not gain you any speed-wise.

Not all /tmp user-cases need to move to /var/tmp

sort is special in this regard in that it only uses
external files when there isn't enough RAM.
I.E. is expects it to be slower (larger).

cheers,
Pádraig.