Action required: Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Alexey I. Froloff raorn at raorn.name
Fri Jun 1 14:23:10 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 09:27:16AM -0400, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> > my biggest problem was that tmpfs by
> > default allocates half of physical RAM for partition.  So I just
> > allocated big enough swap and added a line to /etc/fstab with
> > appropriate size= option.
> And how is a random user supposed to know this?
In Soviet ALT Linux we didn't care about "random users" ;-)

In perfect world "random user" must be smart enough to read the
documentation.  However, this implies, that such documentation
exists and easily accessed (which at first sight is true for
Fedora).

> So if things start acting up the answer is to add more swap and
> mess with fstab?  WTF?
This is up to Release Managers.  Reasonable defaults in
installer, documentation, etc...

> So now any software which uses /tmp for *gasp* temporary space
> is now potentially broken depending on the size of the
> temporary data.
Well, no software should use /tmp directly, IMO.  There's nice
environment variable $TMPDIR.  You can always point it to
$HOME/tmp for example.  And you can always turn it off if you
really need to.

> Sorry guys, this feature sucks.
I like this feature, and there should be easy, well documented
way to turn it off.  I personally don't see a reason why it
should be off by default.

--
Regards,    --
Sir Raorn.   --- http://thousandsofhate.blogspot.com/