[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Jun 1 15:27:01 UTC 2012

On 06/01/2012 11:05 AM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> wrote:
>> So everyone needs to go out and buy twice as much RAM so F18+ can run /tmp as tmpfs without causing memory shortfalls
>> for everything else they do.
>> That's crazy.
> Thats not true (and I've used tmpfs for tmp for years, so I'm speaking
> from experience)— tmpfs is backed by swap on demand. Just add the
> space that you would have used for /tmp to your swap.

Wait a minute.  Back in this thread it says that half of RAM is allocated to the tmpfs for /tmp.

Plus the purported benefit from this is causing less write cycles on SSD.  (See Wiki page)

That may have been a benefit a few years ago but newer SSD's will gain almost nothing from this because of the enormous
number of write cycles they handle.

This "feature" may have some benefits but I think they are infinitesimally small.

.