*countable infinities only

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Jun 1 15:44:28 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> said:
> The better solution would be for users for want SecureBoot to have to set it in the BIOS.  It should be disabled by default.
>
> Windows is the OS with all the attack vectors open.   Users of every other OS should not be hostage to this SecureBoot
> by default.

As has been repeatedly shown, Windows is the common attack vector in
large part because it is the widest deployed system, and users (of any
OS) are idiots that will click "Ok" if you give them a pop-up that says
"I'm going to delete all your files right now".

Linux gets a high number of attacks as well, but mostly in the server
space today (password scanning on SSH, POP3, IMAP, SMTP AUTH, and common
web hosting control panels such as Plesk and cPanel).  PHP and common
PHP packages (such as phpBB) have had vulnerabilities that get leveraged
to attack the underlying OS.

There's a reason Fedora has things like chkrootkit and rkhunter.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>