Action required: Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jun 1 14:52:27 UTC 2012

Am 01.06.2012 16:23, schrieb Alexey I. Froloff:

>> Sorry guys, this feature sucks.
> I like this feature, and there should be easy, well documented
> way to turn it off.  I personally don't see a reason why it
> should be off by default

so you can add 1 line to /etc/fstab since many years
this "feature" is another "having solution, searching for problem"

DO NOT SPIT USELESS DATA IN MY RAM PER DEFAULT BECAUSE RAM
IS EXPENSIVE STORAGE AND USED FOR BETTER THINGS

but why forcing majority of users do the same to get
a usefull behavior? it is not smart to waste RAM with
temp-data and force every software with large temp-data
to "get fixed" write it somewhere else

> Well, no software should use /tmp directly, IMO.  There's nice
> environment variable $TMPDIR.

what does this change?

finally most software will be "fixed" to not use it at
all and spit in /var/tmp and render /tmp useless

for many years it was a perfect setup to make a own partition
or use in case of virtual machines even a own vdisk for /tmp
because there can be large data which you do not
want on a 4 GB small / and now the defaults are changed
to spit tmp-data in the root-fs

yes, powerusers can change this (and will) as also they could
use tmpfs all over the time - but it is a wrong DEFAULT