[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jun 1 15:06:07 UTC 2012

Am 31.05.2012 12:45, schrieb Pádraig Brady:
> Currently `sort` defaults to $TMPDIR or if not set '/tmp'.
>
> Now /var/tmp should be "more persistent" which we don't need,
> but shouldn't be an issue, but should also not be in RAM
> and so is more appropriate.
>
> So I'll patch sort to default to /var/tmp rather than /tmp

thank you for breaking setups of well thought virtual machines
on expensive SAN storages with a as small as possible rootfs
with a own virtual disk for /tmp with new defaults

in such setups the new behavior results in a full rootfs

also having many virtual machines on a host means you
try to allocate as less as possible RAM for each of them
which makes the new defaults unuseable and no swapping
is not smart in context of virualization

/tmp in RAm is another "change for the sake of the change"