[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 16:26:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> well designed machines do NOT swap and have not alligend
> swap at all - in the case of virtualization you MUST NOT
> enforce swapping if you really like perofrmance

I'm sorry, I couldn't quite hear you— perhaps more all-caps would help? :-)

The dogmatic 'swap is bad for performance' is justified only because
writing/reading a slow disk is bad for performance.

Tmpfs helps your system avoid disk i/o by giving your system more
flexibility in how it manages all of the available temporary space.

It's something that people who are very concerned with swap impact on
performance should appreciate greatly.