another upgrade, another disaster

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 16:47:18 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 13:18 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 15:08 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> >
> >> But we can, and should, at least try to make our systems tolerant of failures.
> >> Just because we can't test everything.  Defensive programming.
> >
> > Sure. As someone else said, though, that's an issue in rpm if
> > anywhere...
>
> Dunno what kind of failures you're referring to here (not saying rpm
> doesn't have any, just that it's not clear to me in this context), but

Read back in the thread. The specific 'disaster' that triggered the
thread initially is described thus by the reporter:

"It seems to have all gone wrong when cpio failed, because a python package had
been installed using pip into the (default) system dirs.  The conflict IIRC
happens because pip installs a dir where cpio expects a file (or vice-versa)."

AFAIK that's at the rpm level, if we're talking cpio failure.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey