*countable infinities only

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jun 1 16:55:40 UTC 2012

Tom Callaway wrote:
> Do we want to support dual-booting with Windows 8? Microsoft describes
> SecureBoot enablement as "Required for Windows 8 client" [1]? What does
> that mean? We're not sure. At best, it means that BitLocker isn't going
> to work, at worst, big chunks of Windows 8 functionality will simply
> refuse to function until you turn SecureBoot back on.

You are assuming here that there will not be some cracker (or even just some
frustrated dual boot user) patching this requirement out of Window$ 8 (no
matter whether doing that is legal or not). (See what has been done to OS X
and its restriction to Apple hardware only.)

The problem there is clearly on the Window$ side, nothing we can or should
do about it.

        Kevin Kofler