[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

DJ Delorie dj at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 16:27:20 UTC 2012

> The feature may be adopted/promoted on the basis of SSD writecycle
> preservation,

I'm about to put in an SSD boot disk, so I care about this argument,
but I'm still not using tmpfs, for my reasons stated previously.

> but tmpfs also offers considerable performance improvements for
> workloads that create/remove files in /tmp at high speed—

This conclusion is NOT TRUE for me.  I've checked it.  /tmp on ext3 on
my system does NOT incur any disk I/O until long after the process
using it has finished, if at all, as long as the files are small and
transient.

And if they're neither small nor transient, RAM is the wrong place for
them anyway.

Perhaps a better solution is to look at TRIM support for the I/O
buffers, and see if they're writing to the disk after the file has
been deleted?  If they're doing the sane thing, there should be no
disk I/O at all anyway, unless you really needed disk storage in the
first place.