Action required: Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Fri Jun 1 17:15:25 UTC 2012

On 06/01/2012 11:52 AM, Alexey I. Froloff wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 11:31:21AM -0400, Brian Wheeler wrote:
>> Well, since I'm probably going to turn it off, can someone give me a
>> good reason why it should be turned _on_ by default?  For me, the
>> "Benefit to Fedora" bullets are not compelling.
> One good reason is to separate /tmp from /.  When choosing
> between failed sort and failed passwd (or anything else, that
> modifies files in /), both because of "No space left on device"
> error I prefer failed sort and working passwd.

Wouldn't the things which modify important stuff in / be running as
root?  If so, they'd get that 5% to play with.  In any case, I see your
point.  However, I can't say that it has happened to me since the days
of 32M roots :)

> And tmpfs is faster than any other filesystem, and easily resized
> both ways.

Not really, though.  You have to muck with adding and removing swap
partitions if you have workload that is biggish.  I keep a 2G swap on
all of my systems so /tmp as tmpfs is going to do poorly on them and
since the disk is pretty much allocated elsewhere I can't just move
files around to get more /tmp (or / if things are going wonky).  How
would an upgrade deal with that situation?   Its very much like the
traditional commercial unixes which would have a separate filesystem for
everything:  free space was never in the place where you actually needed it.

I'll grant that tmpfs is faster than other filesystems, but is it a win
on a real workload?  I haven't seen anyone answer that.

It seems like this feature is trading a set of well-known problems for a
different set of problems without a killer reason.