[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 17:20:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM, DJ Delorie <dj at redhat.com> wrote:
> This conclusion is NOT TRUE for me.  I've checked it.  /tmp on ext3 on
> my system does NOT incur any disk I/O until long after the process
> using it has finished, if at all, as long as the files are small and
> transient.

Glad to see you've taken the all caps advice.

I'm not sure what you're measuring though, because the metadata
absolutely does get written write away for me. For a more dramatic
example touch a file then hit the power button a few seconds later.

> And if they're neither small nor transient, RAM is the wrong place for
> them anyway.

If they really aren't transient then /tmp is the wrong place for them.
But regardless, if ram isn't the IO optimal place for them then they
won't remain in ram.