*countable infinities only

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 17:50:02 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> drago01 wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>> They "just work" as long as you don't try to actually exercise one of the
>>> freedoms we stand for.
>>
>> Which one?
>
> "The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your
> computing as you wish (freedom 1)."

Secure boot support won't stop you (or anyone else) from doing that.

> "The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others
> (freedom 3)."
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

Neither that.

>>> It's as easy as setting an option in the firmware ("BIOS") setup, so I
>>> don't see why we can't just require it from everyone.
>>
>> It is easy for you, for me, for pretty much everyone on this mailing
>> list but there are different types of users out there.
>> And you effectively want to limit those users to a proprietary OS
>> (they cannot even try our live images anymore).
>
> Just include instructions on how to disable "Secure" Boot on the common
> firmware types (on the website, and on the cover of the DVDs we hand out at
> events).

Which is still unacceptable from a usability POV and people tend to
not read docs.
They will return it to you "this crap does not work".

> There are only a handful BIOS vendors, I don't expect this to
> change much with UEFI.

BIOS vendors aren't really in control if this but the motherboard
vendors and OEMs.
And such settings tend to change from one hardware revision to another.