*countable infinities only

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 18:45:45 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 14:18 -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 12:10 -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
> >
> >> We include wireless device firmware even though it isn't free. And we
> >> don't like doing that, but it is the only way to get wireless support
> >> out of the box in Fedora.
> >
> > Tiny nit: no, it isn't. We could always write free firmware. This isn't
> > impossible, as openfwwf shows.
>
> In as much as we could always write a new UEFI Firmware implementation,
> this is valid.

Again not a good analogy, though. We can deploy our alternative firmware
to hardware without the user doing anything special at all: the OS
indeed _has_ to deploy the firmware to the hardware, at each boot,
before it will work. We can't silently and transparently deploy our own
UEFI firmware implementation on your system in order to allow you to
install Fedora.

I realize my different points in this thread tend to point in different
directions, but my overarching point is that the 'comparison' between
wireless firmware and Secure Boot is a baffling and tenuous one.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey