[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 19:09:59 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM, DJ Delorie <dj at redhat.com> wrote:
> *I* want /tmp on disk.  I still don't want someone else telling me I
> have to do it that way.

You can still put tmp on a disk if you're the kind of advanced users
who knows better enough to override the defaults.

But there does have to be a default.   Fedora makes _many_ defaults
which I find intolerable, coping with that and the breakage that comes
from making my fedora install less standard is part of the costs of
outsourcing my system administration to the fedora community— a cost
that is usually well worth the benefit.

Many of the people responding to this have show a substantial
misunderstanding of how it would work— e.g. the thought it would take
up half their ram. Adding a prompt is not costless by any means, and I
don't think it actually would achieve the goal of aligning the users
needs with the system's behavior. It also doesn't scale to the
millions of other decisions Fedora and its packages make on the user's
behalf.

I think it's reasonable to demand that fedora continues to support a
on-disk /tmp.  But ... yea. You can't escape having defaults.

(My own complaints in Fedora e.g. about gnome3, for example— have been
about how crappy the fedora experience is if you disable the gnome
stuff, how many things break in mysterious ways, not that Fedora has a
default I don't like)