[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Jun 1 20:14:18 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> said:
> and that does also patch all applications back which starts
> using /var/tmp like "sort" as default for their temp-files?

I keep seeing sort as the primary example: how often are people sorting
multi-gigabyte files?  I've been running with either a separate
partition for /tmp (1G-2G) or tmpfs for /tmp on servers and desktops for
many years now (10+).  I have never had sort fail.  The only time I
think I have had a problem was with some DVD-creator software some time
back that copied the video files to /tmp (dumb #1) and then tried to
create the ISO in /tmp and copy it out (dumb #2).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>