[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jun 1 16:32:22 UTC 2012

Am 01.06.2012 18:26, schrieb Gregory Maxwell:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> well designed machines do NOT swap and have not alligend
>> swap at all - in the case of virtualization you MUST NOT
>> enforce swapping if you really like perofrmance
>
> I'm sorry, I couldn't quite hear you— perhaps more all-caps would help? :-)
>
> The dogmatic 'swap is bad for performance' is justified only because
> writing/reading a slow disk is bad for performance.

and how does /tmp in RAm change this?

it enforces swapping because temporary files are
held completly in memory and if they are large
enough and your workload needs active RAm you
enforce swapping

if they are on disk under /tmp they are cached only
as long page-cache or active RAM is not needed for
the workload and the memory can be released instead
WRITE it do disk with swapping

> Tmpfs helps your system avoid disk i/o by giving your system more
> flexibility in how it manages all of the available temporary space

how should this work?
not in the real life!