[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 1 21:23:20 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> * it is a valid workload that a application creates a 10 GB tempfile
>> * ok, you say: use /var/tmp
>> * well, i say: my whole rootfs is only 4 GB and 2 Gb are used
>
> If your rootfs wasn't big enough for your tmp workload you would have
> had to have had a separate tmp partition. Either continue to use it—
> or mount it as swap and set size= to allow you to use it in tmp.
>
> It works great.

Part of this feature involves patching applications to write temporary
files to /var/tmp instead of /tmp.  Reindl's point is that this change
will cause temporary files that were previously written to the /tmp
filesystem that he had explicitly prepared for this purpose to instead
be written to /var/tmp and fill up his / filesystem.