Action required: Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Sat Jun 2 08:27:05 UTC 2012

On 02/06/12 00:05, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> But that is a pretty bad situation isn't it? And it really is not so
> rare situation unless users would really know not to do that.

If, for the sake of discussion, I suppress my conservative instincts and
start thinking about "How the ideal OS in the ideal world should work"
(which is a very bad idea, IMHO, but anyway), I am still thinking about
this from
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/tmp-on-tmpfs#Comments_and_Discussion:

> We believe that /etc/fstab is the place to configure real file
> systems, for actual user data, backed by real devices. The API file
> system /tmp does not qualify for that in our eyes. /tmp is very much
> something that should just exist as part of the OS and needs no user
> configuration.

Isn't it really just our bad habit, that we work too much outside of
$HOME? Shouldn't whole world outside of $HOME be for a normal user just
a black box (so no movies there)?

Matěj