*countable infinities only

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Jun 2 17:06:37 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 17:36:47 +0100
Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 10:31:20AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > What happens if you try and boot an unsigned image? I assume the
> > error you get is up to the BIOS folks? So, it could be misleading,
> > confusing, depressing or all three. It may be that people will see
> > just "Failed to secure boot" and think there's something wrong with
> > Fedora. They may not even be looking for a bios option. They may
> > burn or download multiple media in an attempt to get it working.
> > All kinds of possible issues... ;(
>
> Per spec the machine simply falls back to attempting to execute the
> next entry in the boot list. An implementation may provide some
> feedback that that's the case, but there's no requirement for it to
> do so, so it's perfectly valid for it to just fall back to booting
> Windows with no notification.

Right. so: "Hey, my new Fedora 18 dvd doesn't boot. I guess I'll
download it again. Huh. Still doesn't work. I've made 2 coasters, this
Fedora thing sucks!" <goes on irc, searches google> "Oh? I have to
_disable_ secure boot? I don't want my PC to boot insecurely. Forget
it".

> On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 18:57:37 +0200 Kevin Kofler
> <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> The error message back in the day also didn't say "disable Plug and
> Play in the BIOS", it said something like "kernel panic: bad IRQ", I
> don't remember exactly, but it most definitely wasn't more helpful.
> Search engines are your friend. :-)

Yeah, I recall. I don't want those days back...

kevin