Action required: Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 17:24:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> it does not matter WHAT get swapped out
> from the moment on the system starts to swap performance sucks

This is what I meant about being dogmatic up thread.  You're being a
anti-swap zealot here.

Yes, using swap is slow. It's slow because using the disk is slow.

If you are using the disk because tmpfs is being written out, or
because your tmpfs is just a file system is the same thing.

Tmpfs just has the advantage of minimizing the disk activity— both in
cases where none is needed, and in cases where it is.

Really, you should try it.  It works very well and does not make your
machine perform poorly, even when under memory pressure.