*countable infinities only

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Jun 2 18:58:35 UTC 2012

On Jun 2, 2012, at 5:56 AM, Pedro LamarĂ£o wrote:

> Who exactly is this We person who cannot accomplish the goal of
> dealing with multiple vendors shipping multiple interfaces on
> different machines?
>
> The Free Software Movement certainly can.

This is very naive, IMO. Where is the influence of free software movement in UEFI and the hardware vendors?

As much as people want to ignore reality, and stand entirely on idealism, the reality is we're all sharing the same swimming pool whether we use Windows or not. We are affected by what Microsoft does. And if you want to consider the MS logo/certification requirement akin to pissing in the swimming pool, well you can complain about it, that's fair and all, but it doesn't actually produce any incentive whatsoever for the offending party to alter their behavior.

> Do nothing. Stand in the way. Wait patiently. Explain to those who
> ask, tolerate a little laughter, a little violence.
>
> Gandhi style.

Doing nothing is the exact opposite of providing an incentive for MS to change their behavior voluntarily. This is not a case of a small number of British occupying the native land of others, while out manned 10000:1 by the natives. This is a case of being minority in terms of numbers as well as power. Even if Red Hat went out on a limb and came up with their own hardware certification that exactly contradicts the negative parts of the Microsoft certification, I think we all know approximately what that would translate into. It may have an effect for some servers. It would likely have zero effect for the vastly larger desktop and laptop market, the market for Fedora.

Chris Murphy