*countable infinities only

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sat Jun 2 20:21:27 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 04:08:45PM -0400, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> > But you're happy to sacrifice the freedom for people to modify the error
> > text that's provided? What's your threshold?
>
> I'm not quite sure where my threshold is, I'd have to think really hard on that.
>
> But I don't have to think hard about this particular example, because
> wherever the threshold a program that just displays a help screen on
> how to disable the restriction is on the least troublesome extreme of
> the continuum.

That's fine as long as you speak English. Now how about if you want to
release a localised translation? Your users get an error message in a
language they don't speak. But you've arbitrarily decided that the
freedom to do anything about that isn't one that you care about? There
are no easy answers here. You've just drawn your "This freedom is
worthwhile" line in a slightly different place to me.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org