another upgrade, another disaster

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sun Jun 3 17:56:48 UTC 2012

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Frankly, I'd prefer it if we more strongly recommended that people do
> DVD/netinst upgrades.

I refuse to buy writable DVDs or CDs, because if I did I would be giving money
to the copyright lobby, helping to finance its campaign for ever-increasing
mass surveillance and censorship of the Net. It is possible to boot a DVD
image from the hard disk, but it's anything but easy and rarely succeeds at
the first attempt, so that's not something I want to fiddle around with twice a
year on both of my Fedora boxes.

I also won't install anything that I haven't checked the PGP signature on.
That excludes netinst.iso and Preupgrade, and if I use Anaconda I have to be
careful to not let it download anything.

Therefore I usually upgrade by Yum. That's also a laborious process, but I
usually get a mostly working system in the end.

Björn Persson