another upgrade, another disaster

Jan Synacek jsynacek at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 05:57:41 UTC 2012

On 06/03/12 at 01:34pm, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 01:21:55PM +0200, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd like to share with you my experience about installing Fedora
> > > 17/x86_64. It is a real PITA. No doubts about it.
> >
> > 6th attempt:
> > I did a "minimal install" also enabling remote updates and at last I
> > can boot Fedora 17. Now the problem is how to install a graphical
> > desktop environment from minimal install. I googled without finding
> > nothing really useful. As previously, any help is really appreciated.
>
>   yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

This alone unfortunately doesn't do the trick. You will probably have to

    yum groupinstall "X Window System"

as well as some drivers for your graphic card to get it working.

I also had to order selinux to relabel my entire /home to be able to get into
any gnome session.

--
Jan Synacek
Software Engineer, BaseOS team Brno, Red Hat