another upgrade, another disaster

Andrea Musuruane musuruan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 08:03:24 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>> * 3rd attempt:
>> Same as options as the 2nd attempt but this time I chose to enable
>> only the F17 remote repositories and I disabled the "Install repo" so
>> I presume all the packages were downloaded from the net. At about 85%
>> of installation I got a kernel panic - this time I took care of the
>> message "unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
>> 0000000000000088".
>
> Frankly, I wouldn't trust your hardware.
>
> The installer uses the same kernel as the installed system, so even if
> you get it to install (which apparently you finally did), if you're
> getting quasi-random kernel panics, I wouldn't be at all surprised if
> you keep getting them on the installed system.
>
> That (and 'inexplicable' errors like failure to read a package on
> known-good media) points either to bad hardware or a kernel bug specific
> to your system in some way (as we don't have any known general kernel
> breakage AFAIK). You'd definitely need to get better data on one of the
> crashes (i.e. an actual log, or at least screen capture) and give it to
> the kernel team, to look into it.
>
> It may be worth running memtest on the system, first, though.

Everything can be and I will run memtest as you advised.

But I didn't had any kernel problem in the past - and I've used every
Fedora release on the same PC for about 4 years. After I could bypass
this problem - I could install the system, including I think all the
RPMs anaconda was trying to install without any problem. Note that I
don't run the same kernel used by anaconda because in fedora updates
there is available a newer one.

Anyway, in case I hit this issue again, I would be interested to know
how to get the log of this kind of error.

Regards,

Andrea.