[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 4 10:59:14 UTC 2012

Am 04.06.2012 12:50, schrieb Alexey I. Froloff:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 02:20:02PM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> It, in fact, provides proof that this feature is searching for a
>> problem. Which applications require gigabytes per second throughput out
>> of /tmp?
> sort(1) and maybe mock(1) ;-)
>
>> (and your numbers for tmpfs would equal ext4 once you started swapping)
> No.  Tried with 2G RAM, 8G swap, 6G tmpfs and 5G file.  Stupid dd
> test was 2-3 times faster on tmpfs that ext4.

but the stupid dd-test does not reflect reality

for most workloads /tmp is not touched most of the time
in any way - keep in mind that applications needs to
be changed to usr /var/tmp if they expect really
large temp-files compare the real benefit with the
complete work and bugreports for forgotten packages
trying to store a iso-image and such things on /tmp

the benefit for the normal workload has to be compared
with the overall work for a feature and not only
some generic tests