*countable infinities only

Jon Ciesla limburgher at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 14:24:37 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 03:56 PM, Jon Ciesla wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Drive manufacturers need to do nothing.
>>>
>>> One drive probably SSD at this point, gets dedicated to OS.  Other drive to everything else.
>>>
>>> The read-write controllable interfaces already exist as I pointed out and are in use by forensic firms.
>> And how many consumer OEMs ship them?
>>
>> -J
>
> Any Chinese fab would be able to produce any quantity needed within weeks to any number of OEM's.

Key words, "would be able".  What OEM ships this *today*?  That's my point.

>>> There are plenty of buttons/keys on machines right now that can be used to toggle this interface.
>>>
>>> It's 100% doable today with existing hardware.
>>>

> The whole point is that is that I provided just one example of an equally effective solution to SecureBoot that has much
> less impact on both Microsoft and Linux.   The entire x86 industry is going to become a mess if SecureBoot is
> implemented.  It'll be signature-HELL and a lot more.
>
> This whole SecureBoot runaway train needs to have the brakes slammed on.

I'm not saying I love SecureBoot, but that ship has sailed.  I also
wish Amiga hadn't futzed with their floppy drive stepper motors to
squeeze in more sectors per disk and made my floppies unreadable
without a trip to eBay, but that ship has sailed as well, so I pretty
have to find the best solution available for the situation at hand.

I would love for SecureBoot not to have happened, or to have happened
differently. If wishes were horses, even the poor would eat.

-J

http://cecinestpasunefromage.wordpress.com/