wine font changes system look and feel

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Jun 4 15:47:50 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Andreas Bierfert <andreas.bierfert at lowlatency.de> said:
> I guess we can agree that the technical part of font installation etc.
> is done like it should be. However, it is _not_ the wine-tahoma-fonts
> package which bullies its way and changes the system look and fell on
> its own. There are some web-pages which (maybe unintentionally)
> explicitly request a tahoma font and if you have wine installed - beware
> - they get what they request.

Well, no they don't.  They are requesting the font Microsoft calls
Tahoma, not a Wine-provided imitation of Tahoma.

Providing a font called Tahoma that isn't Tahoma is a bad idea.  In
general, the fonts that are designed to copy other fonts get a different
name.  In many cases, this is required because some font names are
trademarked (IIRC Helvetica is an example).

Wine should not call their font Tahoma.  They should call it something
else and then map requests for Tahoma to their imitation font.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>