another upgrade, another disaster

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 16:59:49 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-06-03 at 19:56 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Frankly, I'd prefer it if we more strongly recommended that people do
> > DVD/netinst upgrades.
>
> I refuse to buy writable DVDs or CDs, because if I did I would be giving money
> to the copyright lobby, helping to finance its campaign for ever-increasing
> mass surveillance and censorship of the Net. It is possible to boot a DVD
> image from the hard disk, but it's anything but easy and rarely succeeds at
> the first attempt, so that's not something I want to fiddle around with twice a
> year on both of my Fedora boxes.
>
> I also won't install anything that I haven't checked the PGP signature on.
> That excludes netinst.iso and Preupgrade, and if I use Anaconda I have to be
> careful to not let it download anything.
>
> Therefore I usually upgrade by Yum. That's also a laborious process, but I
> usually get a mostly working system in the end.

Cool story bro.

Given that I was stating my personal opinion on the message we should
communicate to the general user population about which upgrade methods
are most likely to work with the least tweaking, though, I'm not sure
what relevance your personal qualms about buying optical media have to
do with anything. It's not like I said we should disable yum upgrades.

(you can, of course, boot from the DVD or netinst image without ever
touching optical media. It is trivial to write them to a USB stick.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey