another upgrade, another disaster

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jun 4 21:49:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 16:58:18 -0400,
   Steve Gordon <sgordon at redhat.com> wrote:

>I eventually hit it with a hammer and did yum remove '*fc16*', when I reviewed the resultant transaction there were a handful of fc17 packages also removed as a result of dependencies but these were easily installed again, pulling in their fc17 dependencies instead. At this point I now appear to have a stable system and everything working, we'll see how long that lasts for though ;).

The problem with that is some packages might have been inherited into f17
from f16 because there weren't rebuilt for f17. (Since there was a mass
rebuild for f17 there aren't many of these.)

You can use package-cleanup --orphans to find packages not in any of
your currently used repos. You can take that list and list the available
packages (yum list available) to find ones with just blocked updates and
try removing the rest.