Update ImageMagick in Fedora 16

Pavel Alexeev forum at hubbitus.com.ru
Tue Jun 5 09:55:21 UTC 2012

04.06.2012 21:11, Pete Walter написал:
> Pavel Alexeev<forum<at>  hubbitus.com.ru>  writes:
>> May be in next time? What disadvantages you are seen proceed with that
>> update? Do you try test it?
> No, I did not test this. And here's a few reasons why I think this
> shouldn't be pushed:
>
>   - You are forcing others to do work they otherwise wouldn't need to
>     do.  Why do you want me to test ImageMagick functionality in 57
>     dependant packages?  Fix your security bugs and leave other
>     packages alone.  F16 is supposed to be stable.
>
>   - A major ImageMagick update that introduces new features and new code
>     invalidates the QA that has gone into the packages that use
>     ImageMagick.
>
>   - Needless update churn.  We have the Stable Updates Policy for a
>     reason.  Do you development on rawhide and let stable Fedora
>     release be stable.
>
>   - The soname bump breaks third party packages that use ImageMagick
>     libraries.  An example is 'transcode' from rpmfusion.
>

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy explicitly says that such
> ABI bumps are left to the discretion of FESCO and the packager.  Have
> you already asked FESCO for their blessing?
>
> "Note that you should open this dialog _BEFORE_ you build or push updates."
>

>    Pete

Ok. I understand you point. I do not share your point of view, but the
respect among others to speak out. But as I mention and thankfully also
Johannes Lips (thanks for some positive words) such argue was much more
appreciated before all work had been done. For that I announce my
intentions for the week ago.

I'll plan unpush that update and work on patching ImageMagick to handle
these issues locally. But I'm not security expert and can't guarantee
something except mentioned patch apply (contrary leave it on upstream
authors, as I was want do first).

Only one other think before I do that. Is it will be needed then
introduce epoch in Fedora 16 IM build to push less version in stable
branch? Is it normal introduce epoch tag only in that branch, and not on
all others?