Update ImageMagick in Fedora 16

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 12:09:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 14:05:13 +0400, Pavel Alexeev wrote:

> 04.06.2012 22:26, Michael Schwendt написал:
> > On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 19:36:29 +0400, Pavel Alexeev wrote:
> >
> >> Additionally have worth I try read carefully all docs about
> >> provenpackager and such updates and have not found how deal with such
> >> versions.
> > It's not provenpackager specific stuff, but found in the basic packaging
> > guidelines:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Using_the_.25.7B.3Fdist.7D_Tag
> >
> >> I had look in my packages and few others and found it was
> >> updated many times in that way.
> > Just read the page linked above. There is no strict requirement to
> > apply this release versioning scheme for old branches. If newer branches
> > would always win RPM Version Comparison because their %version field
> > is _higher_, you can bump %release in older branches without risk.
> >
> >> In packages were was present subrelease
> >> after %{?dist} - I increase it.
> >> Should or must in next time I add it in any package even it does not
> >> have it??
> > As the guidelines say: "Be careful with this!"
> Thank you very much Michael. It's helpful.
> But what still is not clear to me - if it secure, may it be applied to
> all packages on update in stable releases? Or instead I should check if
> increasing release do not break version sequence in branches - do that.
> And only if it false, introduce subrelease like %{?dist}.1?

Well, if you want to spare yourself the extra check, simply use the
%{?dist}.N scheme for old branches _always_. Then you're on the safe side.

[That means: If you see only a %{?dist} in an old branch, introduce the
%{?dist}.N scheme even if it's not strictly necessary. If you see the
%{?dist}.N scheme is used already, increase N appropriately. Then it's
up to the package owner, or anyone else who touches the package, to
check whether the normal %{?dist} scheme would be fine when preparing
another bug-fix release sometime after you.]

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.3.7-1.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.57 0.65 0.61