*countable infinities only

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 13:24:54 UTC 2012

2012/6/5 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:
> Tomas Mraz wrote:
>> That's a total nonsense unless the restriction is by-license and not
>> just technical obstacle. If it is just a technical obstacle in the code,
>> you can remove it and run the software on any crippled machine at your
>> will. So no, making your software not to work on particular machines
>> does not make it non-free at all.
>
> That doesn't mean we should ship it in that state.
>
> If Fedora decides to support "Secure" Boot, it needs to be distro-wide.

  Could it be done in a "pretend to be supported mode", somewhat
like having a known public grub key, and then provide some Linux
certified stickers :-) Then let grub load any OS, or chain load windows
as usual.
  If it is required to validate every built kernel, every module, etc, then
there is no point on it for Linux. The "certification" for Linux should be
a signed source tarball and secure channel updates, not some entity
signing some specific binary as "guaranteed secure".
  For the truly paranoid, could also provide some kind of boot image,
like memtest, providing all source code of course, and can be built for
a bootable device, and let it do any security audit (need to trust
whatever binary is in firmware).

>        Kevin Kofler

Paulo