Fedora ARM and SecureBoot

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Jun 8 12:47:27 UTC 2012

On 06/08/2012 08:07 AM, Mario Torre wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 14:34 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
>
>> that would not allow custom kernel and such.  Don't support the locked
>> down platform; the answer to "Fedora on ARM" is "don't buy a Win8 ARM
>> system and expect to run Fedora".
> One should be very, very careful with sentences like this one.
>
> With more and more machines turning to ARM, simply dismiss it as a
> "don't buy a Win8 ARM" *may* possibly work right now, but it will turn
> against us in the future.
>
> You don't need to be an Oracle to see where all of this is going.
>
> Cheers,
> Mario

And I expect this idea of preventing other OS's from being installed on Win8 ARM hardware will not fly in the EU.  It's
anti-competitive.

In fact, the whole concept of preventing dual-booting, and requiring x86 hardware to come with Secure Boot enabled by
default probably won't fly either.

That too is anti-competitive.

.