InitialExperience (was: Schedule for Monday's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-11))
oron at actcom.co.il
Sun Jun 10 20:18:02 UTC 2012
On Sunday, 10 בJune 2012 17:10:05 Jon Ciesla wrote:
> #topic #857 F18 Feature: Initial Experience -
Being a KDE user, this feature page was my first encounter with
this interesting proposal. As a result I also followed the mentioned:
I wanted to raise 3 separated issues not mentioned in Fedora feature page:
1. There's no mention of other desktops:
* For example, let's assume KDE has no equivalent feature.
* We still need the KDE (or other desktops) spin to have during
the first boot a functionality (but not necessarily the same look)
* So IMO, this feature should explicitly mention how it intends to
treat other desktops (e.g: booting with KDM, LXDM) regarding basic
mandatory configuration (e.g: creating new user, setting timezone)
2. The GUI seems to bundle system-wide settings with per-user ones:
* What if *other* GNOME users would like to use the same modern
GUI to enroll into their online accounts on their first login?
* It seems to me a lot better not to mix "first boot" functionality
with "first login" functionality.
* Even if the design people want to pack them into a single "integral"
UI, the per-user part should still be designed to be operational
by itself on "first login" of any user (not only the one that
installed the system).
[obviously, a new user should have her chance to take the "tour"
on first login even if the system was installed 5 months ago by
3. No mention of kickstart integration:
* Would we still be able to have fully automatic install?
[without the first user being bothered with system level
stuff like networks, timezones, etc.]
I think these 3 aspects should be marked in the feature page and with
proposed strategy to handle each of them.
Thanks (maybe it's all taken care for, and I simply missed it in
the feature page...)
Oron Peled Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron at actcom.co.il http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron
But it does move!
-- Galileo Galilei
More information about the devel