*countable infinities only

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Jun 12 15:38:54 UTC 2012

Le mardi 12 juin 2012 à 10:58 -0400, Jay Sulzberger a écrit :

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > No because secure boot does not limit your freedom in *any* way. If
> > you want to hack on the kernel or other low level stuff flip a switch
> > in the firmware.
> > It is reasonable to expect this type of users to be able to do that.
>
> Up until now, installing a free OS did not require the extra
> moves, which Fedora admits are irksome.

Not really my own experience, it took me 10 minutes just to find the way
to boot on a usb keys on my 5 year old computer ( to reinstall it ). The
interface is rather bad, first you need to plug the key, see how to
enter the BIOS (not displayed, so I tried suppr, f2, f10, etc, I think
it was Suppr), then make sure that say "boot on harddrive" is first
( that's the default ) and then select the order of the hard drives ( as
I have 2 of them ), with my usb key being one of them.  And of course,
since that's a setting, do not forget to save and exit.

While that's not hard, I do think that qualify as "extra move", and
given the people coming to my LUG for help, I think that my motherboard
is not a exception.

> Of course the actions by Microsoft are against anti-trust law in
> the US and in Europe grossly violate the rule against tying of
> software and hardware. [...]
> No.  Our side must here stand and fight.

Well, have you filled a complain yet against that ? Since there was news
about secureboot since months, I think that you had plenty of time to do
it. In fact, even now, since people have time to complain, they can
spend time to do it.

--
Michael Scherer