*countable infinities only

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 18:12:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> Quit trying to have it both ways, Greg. If we get vendors to let us ship a
> Red Hat key - and to be clear, it was a *Red Hat* key that's been offered
> to be shipped - then we're putting forked projects and stuff in a
> significantly worse position. This is no "put up $99 and you're in", it's
> "become a market leader and develop contacts at each vendor and maybe they'll
> be nice to you".
>
> That's *far* worse for free software.

::facepalm::

The text I was responding to was:
"Why would hardware vendors listen to a community distribution that
they never preinstall, have no plans to preinstall, and brings them
absolutely no money?"

And my point was that if they're willing to add a RedHat key then
their willingness to listen— at least to some extent— isn't even up
for debate!

Of course a RedGat key wouldn't be an improvement at all, I apologize
for being unclear.— Though, frankly, as far as I can tell it would
only be worse from a cost and RedHat PR perspective, since we'd lose
the distraction of MSFT as a boogieman here, but I see no reason to
debate that because it would be just as bad as far as I'm concerned.
I was just arguing that we do have some amount of vendor attention
here,  and we don't know how far we could get with that and with
public support unless we tried.