[LGA 1155 motherboards] Multi-Monitor does NOT work when 1 monitor uses Intel GPU and another monitor uses Nvidia GPU -- (Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge iGPU)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 23:27:47 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-06-10 at 23:16 -0700, Malcolm Turmel wrote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155
>
> The above article lists all the LGA 1155 motherboards which "Allows
> using built-in GPU" also known as Integrated GPU / iGPU. But basically
> it is talking about the Integrated GPU which comes with the Intel
> Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge microprocessors. As you can see, (except
> for the lone exception P67), all motherboards support using iGPU along
> with a Dedicated GPU card.
>

> It basically allows using the Integrated GPU along with a Dedicated
> GPU like Nvidia or ATI.
>

> Using my MSI H67 Motherboard, and Windows 7 was able to successfully
> make a multi-monitor set up (with Extended mode, so we can get more
> work done faster):
> One monitor was connected to the VGA output on the Nvidia GT 520 GPU.
> The other monitor was connected to the VGA output on the motherboard
> (Core i3 - integrated graphics).
>
> The same multi-monitor setup unfortunately fails in Fedora.
>
> http://www.smolts.org/client/show_all/pub_9b118418-5637-4127-9c4b-506fd6bfb436
>
> I know some of you will suggest getting a new monitor, or getting a
> Convertor to convert DVI to VGA or HDMI to VGA.
> But that's not the point, which is that Fedora is not keeping with the
> technological improvements.

Er, using multiple video adapters simultaneously is hardly some kind of
new technological improvement. It's been possible for years, probably
decades.

X actually used to support it somewhat 'better' prior to RandR 1.2 being
developed. The new randr stuff focused on supporting multiple outputs
from a single adapter _really well_, and it certainly did/does that, but
it compromised on multiple adapter support as a trade-in. I'm never
quite sure what the current status is on putting multiple adapter
support back in, but I expect ajax or airlied would know. It may well be
the case that you actually could get it to work and you just need a
custom config.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey