Important kernel update should not break stuff

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 12:29:28 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Roman Kennke <rkennke at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I think the reason for shipping the latest upstream kernel is based on
>> the fact that backporting would be too much work.
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelRebases
>> Gives a good overview and probably prevents us from repeating
>> arguments in the discussion.
>
> Ok, fair enough. The question remains, how can we avoid such bad things
> to happen in the future? Should I regularily try out kernel builds on
> their way to stable, and object to their stable-release when I find a
> problem? And how would I do that? (I.e. how can I find out when a new

Yes, testing would be very much appreciated.

> kernel is about to go to stable, and when to test it, etc) And what
> about the other base components of the system? (Although, to be fair,
> the kernel seems to be the most problematic one..)

The kernel maintainers push all updates through updates-testing for
this very reason.  It is very rare that one is pushed directly to
stable.  You can use 'yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing kernel'
(or similar commands) to only update the kernel from updates testing
if you wish.  Then you provide karma in Bodhi.

josh