Important kernel update should not break stuff

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 13:54:38 UTC 2012

On 06/13/2012 01:39 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Yes, that is true.  However it also speaks to the extremely small usage
> of rawhide and the relative lack of variety in both test hardware and
> setups.  I have no magical solutions to those problems.  We simply need
> more people testing rawhide kernels in general.

A lot of us from the QA community who are not on rawhide are the running
the rawhide kernels on F17
( I'm currently on 3.5.0-0.rc2.git0.1.fc18.x86_64 ) and I have not
noticed ( hence not reported ) any issue.

I think the problem is actually the other way around those of us that
are in the QA community aren't actually using official update GA kernel.

And getting reporters to actually stay on a GA release once rawhide gets
in usable shape ( which by my experience is around alpha ) is a problem.
( one of the thing that proven tester concept was supposed to address to
ensure we had people testing GA )

And to add insult to injury reporters on update-testing have been
routinely in the past been redirected from the test list to the user
list with any issue they have discovered.

Something I tried to address a while back amongst other things but
certain people in our QA community want to keep the list rawhide only...

JBG