Important kernel update should not break stuff

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 16:27:03 UTC 2012

On 13 June 2012 13:31, Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

I get the need for people to volunteer and test and that's fine. But
the thing I can't square here is why then we aren't all on
updates-testing all the time? The kernel is one of the few packages
you can guarantee everyone is using. We'd all like to know if an
upcoming kernel has problems that will affect us, but you can't know
that until you run it.

So the answer is to test it by being on updates-testing, but this
means you put yourself in the way of every possible kernel update and
open yourself to more potential problems. I don't have a solution for
that, but it's clearly something that needs some thought (as someone
who has quite a few times been stuck on old kernels and trying
updates-testing ones to see if they fix a newly introduced problem).

One question is why are regressions quite so common for some
components? iwlwifi for example seems to show up quite a bit.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk