Important kernel update should not break stuff

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jun 13 16:35:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 17:27:03 +0100,
   Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

>I get the need for people to volunteer and test and that's fine. But
>the thing I can't square here is why then we aren't all on
>updates-testing all the time? The kernel is one of the few packages
>you can guarantee everyone is using. We'd all like to know if an
>upcoming kernel has problems that will affect us, but you can't know
>that until you run it.
>
>So the answer is to test it by being on updates-testing, but this
>means you put yourself in the way of every possible kernel update and
>open yourself to more potential problems. I don't have a solution for
>that, but it's clearly something that needs some thought (as someone
>who has quite a few times been stuck on old kernels and trying
>updates-testing ones to see if they fix a newly introduced problem).

Different people may be more comfortable with dealing with kernel problems
then others. This can vary based on the persons skills and how they are
using the affected machines.

Part of my contribution to Fedora is being a guinea pig using updates-testing
and rawhide. However, dealing with these issues occasionally sucks up a lot
of time and I can certainly see why others would need to not do this.